Every now and then you come across something that we like to refer to as a “Keeper”. In our family a Keeper is a noun and identifies something special, a show stopper or head turner…… however it could be something trivial like a caught fish of the right size and species that will provide a fabulous meal that only fresh fish can or, it could be of more consequence remembering when my beautiful 25 year old daughter phoned home and advised her mother that the boy she has been dating could be a Keeper – this in a context that only a mother and daughter can appreciate!
A Jacques Pepin Recipe:
The other day we found another Keeper that we wanted to share – one of a lighter side but none the less a terrific simple recipe of Pasta with Anchovies. This is a superb dish by renowned French Chef Jacques Pepin we discovered on his online series “Cooking At Home”. The dish can be ready in 20 minutes and will impress all. If you decide to watch this episode, the chef’s matter of fact approach, simplicity and warmth come through and the serving just screams flavour and without question is a Keeper! Enjoy….
UPDATE: A NEW PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD HAS BEEN ADDED AT THE END OF THIS POST
Pasta with Anchovies Recipe Ingredients:
- Half pound of spaghetti (we used linguine in the photos, but either will do)
- 1 2 ounce tin of anchovies chopped – save leftover anchovy oil
- 3-4 medium sized cloves of garlic – diced
- Half jalapeno pepper diced or 1 Tbsp of diced green pepper
- 2 Tbsp parmesan
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley (we may have added more but why not?)
Pasta with Anchovies Recipe – Method:
- Bring pot of well salted water to boil and add half pound of spaghetti – cook 10 to 14 minutes (al dente) saving ¼ cup of spaghetti water before straining
- Add chopped anchovies and anchovy liquid into a bowl along with the garlic, jalapenos and green pepper, parmesan and olive oil
- Just before spaghetti is done microwave contents of bowl for 1 minute and 15 seconds
- Add strained spaghetti to bowl along with ¼ cup of spaghetti water and toss to mix
- Add chopped parsley and plate
- Top with a sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil
This dish is perfect on it’s own with warm crusty bread and an aged Barolo.
A NEW PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOLLOWS: